Afridelight is super natural functional food. It is masterful blended composite flour made from the rarest species of whole wheat grains and mature unripe plantain. It is rich in B vitamins, such as thiamin, folate, and vitamin B6, and the minerals magnesium, zinc, and manganese.
More Than a Meal Series
Afridelight Italian Honey Breakfast Cookies
You will love the simplicity and the nutty flavor of these Easy Italian Honey Breakfast Cookies made from Afridelight. As an added bonus, these healthy cookies hold up perfectly when dunked in your hot beverage of choice.
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ Afridelight flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and honey.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract and continue to whisk.
- Add the Afridelight flour, baking powder and orange zest and combine with the help of a mixing spatula.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to roll out the dough, preheat the oven to 375℉ (190°C). Position rack to middle.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Use any cookie cutter to cut out shapes from the dough. Re-roll scrapes.
- Place about ½ inch apart on parchment-lined cookie sheet and gently press down with to flatten slightly with a meat pounder (optional).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes or so before transferring to a rack.
Afridelight Carrot Muffins
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Yield: ABOUT 12 LARGE MUFFINS
- 1½ cups Afridelight flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ½ cup pure honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup finely shredded carrot (2-3 medium carrots)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone muffin liners (or grease the pan).
- In a large bowl, combine the Afridelight flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Whisk thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, honey, egg, vanilla extract, and applesauce and whisk to combine. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.
- Fold in the shredded carrots, being careful not to over mix.
- Scoop batter into your prepared muffin tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before serving.